Monday, August 12, 2013

My love for books

The reason why I love books is that they have a way of blurting out muffled, bottled up thoughts and feelings inside of you. Books also have an ingenious ability to therapeutically free you of unspoken hurts and horrors as if you were sharing with the most understanding listener in the world.I love that about books . I love the lessons big and small hidden in books. Recently I picked something valuable from “Americanah” Chimamanda Adichie’s latest book. The message for me was that life is not a perfectly ironed sheet and that it’s time we all learned to teach people how to cope with the creases in life and not to live as if the beginning of life is when life becomes “crease free”. Being a Christian myself I see and hear too often that challenges are a reflection of your own failure and that something is missing in your “Christian walk” if your life has creases.  Excuse me for getting preachy but why would we need “the Helper” (Holy Spirit) that Christ promised if we were already set up for perfect life? Too many people are thrown into pitiless depression because in this world, it is not okay to have issues. Issues are like a shameful sore you should quickly bandage and hush about.  Many people grow up with a human blueprint to live by, the idea of their own unique and relevant contribution to life a distant fantasy. Everything laid out in timelines, all you have to do is walk through the carefully mapped out plan of those ahead of you. Forget God’s true purpose, forget what you were really called to do and go for the safe route no questions asked is what the world says. I’m still a believer though, at the very least for my own life I believe that I will live out my purpose.  Living is in the full experience, challenges and all. To be able to face challenges and not let them crush you but finding solutions, preventing the recurrence of the same issues in the life of others and living unashamed because after all life is not something we rehearse first and then act out, we only get one unrehearsed shot at life. God help us all!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts